A federal jury rejected
Elon Musk's lawsuit against OpenAI and its co-founder Sam Altman on Monday, finding the claims had been brought too late and clearing the company and Altman after weeks of testimony. The verdict ends a high-profile case in which
Musk sought to unwind OpenAI's shift to a for-profit structure, the BBC reported. The suit had been valued by some accounts at as much as $150bn, Decrypt reported.
The defeat is the latest in a run of courtroom setbacks for
Musk. Late last year he settled with former Twitter executives and thousands of former employees of the platform he renamed X, and in March he lost a case brought by Twitter investors who said they were misled during his takeover, the BBC reported. A judge that same month threw out his suit against advertisers that left the platform, and in May another judge reversed certain actions by the government cost-cutting effort he helped lead.
Musk vowed to keep fighting after the verdict, France 24 reported, and legal scholars said the size of his fortune makes further litigation likely regardless of the losses. "I don't see him stopping," Columbia Law School professor Dorothy Lund told the BBC, saying no one had managed to put real consequences on his actions. Syracuse University law professor Shubha Ghosh, asked whether the run of defeats might temper
Musk's combative style, said "no one is invincible" while adding that he was "just another businessperson asserting his rights."
A recent $1.5m US Securities and Exchange Commission fine over his initial Twitter stock accumulation was described as insignificant for someone of his wealth, the BBC reported. He is poised to become the world's first trillionaire on his stake in SpaceX, the rocket company expected to list publicly in the near future, a scale of resources that lawyers said makes a string of losses or fines unlikely to deter future suits.
Figures referenced: Elon Musk. — JudgeMarket.